Management and Outcome of Patients Admitted with Tricuspid Regurgitation in France - Inserm - Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale Access content directly
Journal Articles Canadian Journal of Cardiology Year : 2020

Management and Outcome of Patients Admitted with Tricuspid Regurgitation in France


BACKGROUND: Growing evidence shows a major outcome impact and under-treatment of tricuspid regurgitation (TR) but large and comprehensive contemporary reports of management and outcome at the nationwide level are lacking. METHODS: We gathered all consecutive patients admitted with a diagnosis of likely functional TR in 2014-2015 in France from the "Programme de Médicalisation des Systèmes d'Information" (PMSI) national database and collected rate of surgery, in-hospital mortality, one-year mortality or heart failure (HF) readmission rates. RESULTS: In 2014-2015, 17,676 consecutive patients (75±14 years, 51% female) were admitted with a TR diagnosis. Charlson index was ≥2 in 56% of the population and 46% presented with heart failure. TR was associated with prior cardiac surgery, ischemic/dilated cardiomyopathy or mitral regurgitation in 73% of patients. Only 10% of TR patients overall and 67% of those undergoing a mitral valve surgery received a tricuspid valve intervention. Among the 13,654(77%) conservatively managed patients, in-hospital mortality, one-year mortality and one-year mortality or HF readmission rates were 5.1%,17.8% and 41% respectively overall and 5.3%,17.2% and 37% respectively in those no underlying medical conditions (8-times higher than predicted for age and gender). CONCLUSION: This nationwide cohort of patients admitted with TR included elderly patients with frequent comorbidities/underlying cardiac diseases. In patients conservatively managed, mortality and morbidity were considerably high over a short time-span. Despite this poor prognosis only 10% of patients underwent a tricuspid valve intervention. These nationwide data showing a considerable risk and potential underuse of treatment highlight the critical need to develop strategies to improve the management and outcomes of TR patients.
Embargoed file
Embargoed file
Ne sera jamais visible

Dates and versions

inserm-03269074 , version 1 (23-06-2021)



D. Messika-Zeitoun, P. Candolfi, J. Dreyfus, I. G. Burwash, B. Iung, et al.. Management and Outcome of Patients Admitted with Tricuspid Regurgitation in France. Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 2020, pp.S0828-282X(20)31178-8. ⟨10.1016/j.cjca.2020.12.012⟩. ⟨inserm-03269074⟩
39 View
1 Download



Gmail Facebook X LinkedIn More