Prediction Tool to Estimate Potassium Diet in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Developed Using a Machine Learning Tool: The UniverSel Study - Inserm - Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale Access content directly
Journal Articles Nutrients Year : 2022

Prediction Tool to Estimate Potassium Diet in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Developed Using a Machine Learning Tool: The UniverSel Study

Abstract

There is a need for a reliable and validated method to estimate dietary potassium intake in chronic kidney disease (CKD) patients to improve prevention of cardiovascular complications. This study aimed to develop a clinical tool to estimate potassium intake using 24-h urinary potassium excretion as a surrogate of dietary potassium intake in this high-risk population. Data of 375 adult CKD-patients routinely collecting their 24-h urine were included to develop a prediction tool to estimate potassium diet. The prediction tool was built from a random sample of 80% of patients and validated on the remaining 20%. The accuracy of the prediction tool to classify potassium diet in the three classes of potassium excretion was 74%. Surprisingly, the variables related to potassium consumption were more related to clinical characteristics and renal pathology than to the potassium content of the ingested food. Artificial intelligence allowed to develop an easy-to-use tool for estimating patients' diets in clinical practice. After external validation, this tool could be extended to all CKD-patients for a better clinical and therapeutic management for the prevention of cardiovascular complications.
Fichier principal
Vignette du fichier
nutrients-14-02419.pdf (1.34 Mo) Télécharger le fichier
Origin Publisher files allowed on an open archive

Dates and versions

inserm-03830403 , version 1 (26-10-2022)

Identifiers

Cite

M. Granal, L. Slimani, N. Florens, F. Sens, C. Pelletier, et al.. Prediction Tool to Estimate Potassium Diet in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Developed Using a Machine Learning Tool: The UniverSel Study. Nutrients, 2022, 14 (12), pp.2419. ⟨10.3390/nu14122419⟩. ⟨inserm-03830403⟩
10 View
57 Download

Altmetric

Share

Gmail Mastodon Facebook X LinkedIn More